The Virginian Railway Passenger Station in Roanoke was built in 1909. This depot, the Virginian’s most significant brick station, is one of just a handful of Virginian buildings remaining. It served as Roanoke’s Virginian station until cessation of passenger service in January 1956.
Historic Virginian Railway Station
Beginning in the early 1960s the building was leased to the Depot Feed and Seed Inc. which operated a retail store on the site selling fertilizer, feed and lawn and garden supplies. The station is listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.

Norfolk Southern Corporation
The property was donated by Norfolk Southern Corporation to the Roanoke Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society (RCNRHS) in 2005. Now the RCNRHS, in partnership with the Roanoke Valley Preservation Foundation is preparing to restore this historic structure and return it to a combination of public and private use. The passenger station building will be leased to a commercial tenant (or tenants) to provide an income stream to sustain future building operations and costs.

The smaller baggage and express building will be used as a museum in which the public can learn about the role the Virginian Railway played in the development of Roanoke and the state’s railroad industry. The museum will also provide access to the archives of the RCNRHS and help to promote Roanoke as a National Railway Heritage District and destination for the research of railroad history.

The station will provide the public with a comfort station at the midway point of the Mill Mountain Greenway. The station will also serve as a gateway to the Riverside Center for Research and Technology.