History

Adams, Payne & Gleaves Lumber Company
This property was originally developed in 1906 as the Adams, Payne, and Gleaves Lumber Company. By the 1920s the company provided a wide range of building materials for the rapidly growing City. However, during the depression the building supply business downsized and many of the structures were leased to other enterprises.
Historic Photo of Former Virginia Scrap Property
Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal Company
In 1942, the Virginia Scrap Iron and Metal Company purchased the yard and began a 66-year operating period at the site. A few of the larger Virginia Scrap customers and sources of scrap metal included the Virginian Railway Company (merged with the Norfolk & Western in 1959), Appalachian Power, General Electric, Westvaco and many other regional industries (e.g., Xaloy, RAAP, etc.). Particular items of interest that were routinely processed onsite include electric transformers and capacitors, locomotive engines, automobile engines and batteries, power system back-up batteries and steel drums and tanks. The facility received and processed scrap metal primarily in the central portion of the site.

River Metals Recycling
River Metals Recycling (River Metals) was contracted by Virginia Scrap to process and remove the inventory of scrap material in 2005. River Metals performed the processing and removal activities during two separate periods of time, the first being November 2005 to May 2006 and the second being May 2007 to August 2007. Virginia Scrap stopped receiving scrap material from customers on May 11, 2007.